Allergy and Hayfever Testing
There is a way to get relief from Allergy and Hayfever through Mistrys Pharmacy’s Testing Service
Allergies are caused by an overreaction of the immune system to a substance that is usually harmless. They can be triggered by pet dander, pollen, dust mites, or mold spores. Symptoms can range from mild to severe and may include sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and rashes.
The NHS reports that one in four Brits suffer from allergies at some point in their life, and many adults develop new allergies as they get older. It’s important to find out what you’re allergic to so you can take steps to avoid your triggers. That’s where Mistry Pharmacy comes in!
Allergy testing is the only way to know for sure if you have an allergy and what type of allergen triggers it. Our tests will help identify your specific allergies and find a treatment plan that works for you.
What types of Allergy tests are there?
There are a number of tests that we can provide to help you find the solution to your allergies;
– Skin prick tests are the most common type of allergy test and can be done at home or in a doctor’s office. The skin prick test involves placing drops of liquid containing an allergen on your skin and then pricking it with a needle. If you have an allergy to that particular substance, an itchy red bump will appear where your skin was pricked within about 15 minutes.
– Patch tests are a simple way to determine what is causing your symptoms. They involve placing small amounts of suspected allergens on patches that are then taped onto your skin for 48 hours. The patches will be removed and examined under a microscope for signs of allergy-causing substances such as pollen or pet dander.
– Blood tests can be used to check whether your body has created antibodies in response to specific allergens. These tests are not as accurate as skin prick testing, but they do provide more information about the types of allergies you have and how severe they may be. They also show if you have an allergy that is not currently causing symptoms or one that would only cause symptoms when certain things happen (like eating a particular food).
– Elimination diets can help identify the foods that trigger your symptoms, so you know what to avoid in order to feel better. We have an elimination diet for every type of allergy – gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, corn-free and more! You’ll get personalized support from our team of experts who will guide you through this process step by step.
– Challenge testing is a supervised test where you eat increasing amounts of the suspected allergen. You need to do this under strict supervision, as medical staff need to be present in case of a severe reaction. It’s important that you know what your triggers are so that you can avoid them and live an allergy-free life.
Get your Allergy tests in Market Harborough with Mistry Pharmacy!
If your symptoms are severe or it’s not clear what you’re allergic to, then it might be time for an allergy test with a GP or at an allergy clinic. It doesn’t matter if this sounds scary – we’re here to help! We’ll walk through everything from how the tests work, how they’re done and why they’re important.
We offer a comprehensive allergy test that will help identify any substances or foods which may be triggering your symptoms. With this information, you’ll have the power to make healthier choices and live a happier life without being held back by allergies!
What is Hayfever?
Hayfever is a common seasonal allergy that affects around 1 in 3 adults in the UK. You can easily buy hayfever treatments from your pharmacist, such as over-the-counter antihistamines, eye drops and nasal sprays. However, if these regular treatments aren’t controlling your symptoms, there are several prescription medications available.
Mistry Pharmacy is able to offer these treatments after a short consultation.
What Causes Hayfever?
Hayfever is an allergic response to plant and tree pollen. The condition is seasonal and has links to the time of the year when trees and plants release their pollen, most notably in the summer.
If you have hayfever your symptoms may include:
– Sneezing and an itchy, runny or blocked nose (allergic rhinitis)
– Itchy, red, watering eyes (conjunctivitis)
– Wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath and a cough
– A raised, itchy, red rash (hives)
Your body’s immune reaction is a defence against a potentially dangerous substance. However, when the substance is not dangerous, such as pollen, we call this response an allergy.
So, an allergy is not an auto-immune disease. It is an immune response.
What hayfever treatments are available?
We can prescribe antihistamines and nasal sprays to treat your hayfever:
– Fexofenadine – antihistamine tablets
– Dymista (azelastine and fluticasone) – nasal spray
– Rhinolast (azelastine) – nasal spray.
These medications may be helpful if, for example, other treatments have been ineffective at controlling your hayfever symptoms.
The treatments may also be suitable for children aged over 6 or 12 as well as adults. However, Fexofenadine is not available if you are over 65 years of age, pregnant or breastfeeding.
Contact us, or pop into the pharmacy for more information about our Hayfever service or to book in!