The Morning After Pill in Market Harborough: Your Comprehensive Guide
Get The Morning After Pill in Market Harborough
Greetings from the team at Mistrys Pharmacy in Market Harborough! We understand that there are times when you might need urgent contraception, and that’s why we are here to provide you with information about the morning-after pill. In this blog, we will explore everything you need to know about this essential contraceptive option, including how it works when to use it, its availability at our pharmacy, and much more. So, let’s dive right in!
Understanding the Morning After Pill
The morning-after pill, also known as emergency contraception, is a safe and effective method to prevent unintended pregnancy after unprotected or inadequately protected intercourse. It is essential to clarify that emergency contraception is not intended for regular use, but rather as a backup option when regular contraception fails, or in cases of sexual assault.
How Does It Work?
There are two main types of morning after pills available in the UK: Levonelle and ellaOne.
Levonelle: This emergency contraceptive contains a synthetic hormone called levonorgestrel. It works by preventing or delaying ovulation, which means the release of an egg from the ovary. It can also make it difficult for sperm to reach an egg or for a fertilized egg to implant in the uterus.
ellaOne: This option contains ulipristal acetate and works similarly to Levonelle but is effective for a longer window of time after unprotected intercourse, up to 120 hours (5 days) compared to Levonelle’s 72 hours (3 days).
When Should You Use It?
The morning after pill should be used in specific situations, such as:
- Condom Breakage or Slippage: If a condom tears or slips off during intercourse.
- Missed Birth Control Pills: If you’ve missed two or more consecutive birth control pills or started a new pack late.
- Forgotten Contraceptive Method: In cases where you forgot to use your regular contraceptive method.
- No Contraception: If you had unprotected sex without using any form of contraception.
- Sexual Assault: In unfortunate situations of sexual assault, it’s crucial to seek medical attention and discuss emergency contraception options. If you have been sexually assaulted its important to get the help that you need. Access help here.
Availability at Mistrys Pharmacy, Market Harborough
At Mistrys Pharmacy, we understand the importance of timely access to emergency contraception. That’s why we stock both Levonelle and ellaOne to provide you with options based on your specific needs. You can purchase the morning after pill over the counter, without the need for a prescription.
Our friendly and knowledgeable team is always available to offer discreet and confidential advice regarding emergency contraception. We are committed to ensuring your well-being and will guide you through the process, including instructions on how to take the pill and possible side effects.
Morning After Pill Myths & Facts
There are several myths and misconceptions surrounding the morning after pill. It’s essential to debunk these myths to ensure accurate information is available. Here are some common morning after pill myths:
1. Myth: The morning after pill is the same as the abortion pill.
- Fact: The morning after pill and the abortion pill (medical abortion) are entirely different medications with distinct purposes. Emergency contraception prevents pregnancy when taken shortly after unprotected intercourse, while the abortion pill is used to terminate a confirmed pregnancy.
2. Myth: Emergency contraception is 100% effective.
- Fact: While emergency contraception is highly effective, it is not 100% foolproof. Its effectiveness varies depending on factors like when it’s taken and individual differences. It is essential to take it as soon as possible after unprotected sex for the best results.
3. Myth: The morning after pill causes infertility or harm to future pregnancies.
- Fact: Emergency contraception does not cause infertility or harm to future pregnancies. It is designed to prevent pregnancy in the short term and has no long-term impact on a woman’s fertility or ability to have children when she decides to do so.
4. Myth: You can use the morning after pill as your regular method of contraception.
- Fact: Emergency contraception should not replace regular contraception methods. It is meant to be used as a backup when regular contraception fails or in emergencies. Relying on it as a primary form of birth control is not recommended and is less effective than regular contraception.
5. Myth: Taking the morning after pill multiple times is safe and effective.
- Fact: While it is safe to use the morning after pill occasionally, it should not be used as a routine contraceptive method. Frequent use can disrupt your menstrual cycle and may not be as effective as consistent, reliable contraception methods like birth control pills, condoms, or an IUD.
6. Myth: The morning after pill has severe side effects.
- Fact: Most women who take the morning after pill experience minimal or no side effects. Common side effects may include nausea, headache, or changes in menstrual bleeding, but these are typically mild and temporary. Serious side effects are rare.
7. Myth: You can’t get the morning after pill without a prescription.
- Fact: In many countries, including the UK, the morning after pill is available without a prescription. You can purchase it over the counter at a pharmacy, like Mistrys Pharmacy in Market Harborough, without needing a doctor’s prescription.
It’s crucial to base your decisions on accurate information when it comes to emergency contraception. If you have any questions or concerns about the morning after pill, consult with a healthcare professional or a pharmacist who can provide you with reliable information and guidance.
Get the Morning After Pill in Market Harborough
The morning after pill is a valuable contraceptive option for those unexpected moments when regular birth control methods fail. At Mistrys Pharmacy in Market Harborough, we are here to support you, providing easy access to emergency contraception, along with professional guidance and a caring attitude.
Remember, timely action is crucial when considering the morning after pill, so don’t hesitate to reach out to our team if you have any questions or concerns. Your sexual health and well-being are our top priorities, and we’re here to assist you when you need it most.
For more information please contact us. To purchase the morning after pill in Market Harborough, visit Mistrys Pharmacy today. Your sexual health matters, and we’re here to help you make informed choices.
This blog was written on behalf of Mistrys Pharmacy by Pharmacy Mentor.